Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Replacing Elastic in an AIO

I've been working on my newborn CD stash for awhile now. I've bought new, on sale, used on craigslist and a few at a LLL yard sale. These AIO's came from a yard sale. I paid $3 each! I checked out the velcro before buying, because you know that is the first thing to go on a BG diaper, and they both looked in perfect condition. I never thought about the elastic till I got them home and realized that it wash SHOT!!! Now I know why I got such a good deal on them.
I found this tutorial on diaperswappers but can't seem to find the link now.
These are both size Small AIO BG's. The diaper on the right has had the elastic replaced. You can tell the difference is amazing!

 Start by cutting a small slit in the end of the elastic casing. Make sure NOT to cut through the elastic or the outer shell. Do the same on the other end. Pull the elastic out of one end.
Cut the old elastic leaving around 3/4in attached to the diaper. Using 100% poly thread, stitch one end of the new elastic to the old still attached piece. Stitch the other end of the new elastic to the old piece that is still in the casing. Pull the old elastic from the other end and pull the new elastic through the casing.

Now you have your new elastic attached to one end and attached to the old elastic on the other and it is in place in the casing. Cut the old elastic off of the new elastic and cut it completely off of the diaper leaving 3/4in like before. Here is where you need to look at the length of the elastic. I had a few replacement kits from Cotton Babies so my elastic only needed to be cut a little to make it the right size for these Small diapers. If you are doing a One Size you will need to leave it a bit longer. Try comparing it to another diaper of the same size.

Once you are happy with the length of the elastic sew the end to the remaining old elastic. Use a whip stitch to close up the slits. All done!! I now have 2 like new AIO's for around $8!! Good luck on yours and if you have any questions please ask.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Sewing for Baby- Handmade Beginnings

Can you believe I didn't sew anything for my first born? Well, I take that back. I did sew him a blanket from a yard of pre-quilted fabric from Joann's and a wall hanging along with a few other smaller blankets and burp rags. That's it. This baby I'm going to do much better by. Especially if it is a girl!

After reading about Anna Maria Horners new book Handmade Beginnings on this lovely blog I knew I had to own it and make my little one and myself some handmade items.

This dress is super cute!
     This bag and Thank you notebook just for me.
These two look a little more complicated and time consuming but I've got another 25 weeks!!

My sewing goals this next week include: replacing elastic in newborn diapers and sewing down velcro on one of Ethan pocket diapers. It should only take me about 15 minutes to do if I ever take the time to sit down and do it. Wish me luck!